Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It is hard to be a good Mom

We have fought with Ethan over food for as long as he has been eating. He simply will not put food into his mouth. At one point I was threatened with Hospitalization or worse, and I hid veggies in all of the foods that he would eat. This worked, as in he did eat some veggies, but it is not the answer because he still will not put unfamiliar, (or familiar for that matter) food into his mouth if it is not what he wants to eat. I will hold off, but will then cave and let him eat a snack that Skyler and I are having because it is good for him (like apples, cucumbers, carrots, sugar snap peas etc.) He is now 2 1/2 years old, and had never eaten dinner with us. He may pick at it and eat the rice, or eat the bread, but never dinner. All day today I have held out on this little man, and he is now sleeping on the couch after screaming and tantruming for several hours, but his dinner is still untouched, not even one bite. Really I feel horrible, I feel like I am starving him, all he wants is something to eat, but not what is good for him. He said to me today Mommy, I only like treats. I am afraid that this might be the only way to get him to eat properly because I have tried just about everything else over the past 2 years.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I just discovered your blog and I know exactly what you are going through with the food.

Austin was okay at eating until around 2 years old. Then he would not eat a single thing I wanted him to, especially no fruit or vegetables. I basically did what you're doing and hid anything nutritious in his food, forced him to take liquid vitamins, and still put the good stuff on this plate as an offering. There would be a fit even at the site of food on his plate.

Austin didn't budge until he turned 6. What made the difference was his age and reasoning. We basically told him that when he turned 6 he had to eat good food for his brain and body. Weird, but he actually believed us. It also helped that we told him that he had to eat food for his brain if he wanted to be smart like IronMan. Now he'll try anything I give him, I have to help him eat sometimes, but at least he's doing it.

Sorry to make the story so long, but I thought it may provide some glimmer of hope for the future. Also, the fact that he'll snack on healthy food is amazing. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. :)

Kira said...

good luck! I understand the frustration but for different reasons. Evan doesnt eat either, but it is because of his SMA. Your a good mom ... dont worry!!