Sunday, October 2, 2011

Arizona together


At the end of August my Family made a trip to Arizona. This was A trip that my Dad had wanted us to make since he was re diagnosed. This trip was planned and canceled about 3 times, because my Dad had a change in treatment, or my brothers couldn't all make it work. Regardless at the end of August this wish of my Dad's was brought to reality. My whole family - All 4 of my brothers, everyone's significant others, my gang of 5, and my Mom and Dad spent a week at my parents home in Arizona.

We really had a great time. It was HOT, like really HOT, but we had a lot of fun. We went to the aquarium, did some shopping, watched some movies went to an indoor amusement park, and sat in the pool.

Dad couldn't walk far, and he had a lot of pains, but he was with us every step of the way.

When it came time to leave it became really emotional because Stephen was flying to the mtc from AZ. When I drove away with Jordan and the kids it was the last time that I would see Stephen for 2 years until he finished serving. There were a few days before Stephen flew out that it was Mom, Dad, Eric and Stephen - so they took advantage of all being endowed and did a temple session in the Mesa Temple. My Dad left the temple knowing that after he said goodbye at the airport he would not see Stephen again in this life.

What an example of faith. My Dad stood strong and said goodbye to his son knowing it would be a while before they were reunited. Stephen got on the plane and started his mission for the church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints knowing that he would come home, and not have his home anymore, and not have my Dad there to welcome him home.

Writing this now, I can also say that Stephen was able to talk to my Dad early in the morning before he passed away - in fact a small miracle. It took over an hour to get ahold of Stephen after my Dad said that he would like me to make the call. Stephen got to talk to my Dad, and shortly after lost the ability to focus and concentrate on anything.

I can also say that Stephen has felt my Dad with him, and although it is a hard struggle to go through he had, and is being well taken care of and the love of the people in Utah has been a huge strength to him. He has also had the blessing of being able to teach the plan of Salvation and have a personal testimony so fresh and strong to add to his teaching.

No comments: