Saturday, July 11, 2009

Calaway Park Fun

So we took the boys to the stampede earlier this week. Jordan and I both grew up in Calgary and were exposed to the stampede, and this is our 3rd summer living back in Calgary after being in Edmonton for school, but neither of us had been since we were in high school, so needless to say we were not well prepared for the ridiculous expense of the endeavor. We went of kids day so the entrance to the park was free (otherwise that would have been 15 dollars a piece for Jordan and I) but we refused to pay 4 dollars a ride for the kids to go on any rides. We did splurge and buy them a treat, a 5 dollar bag of cotton candy, which by the way is on my counter still. We saw the dog show and went home. For me it was a huge disappointment. If we were going to really experience anything there is would have cost our family over 100 dollars. Skyler too was very disappointed because he could see all of the rides, but we wouldn't let him go on any of them. We promised him that day that we would make a trip out to Calaway park, so today was the day to follow through on promises.

The kids LOVED it. both of them. Skyler loved being independent and going on rides on his own.
Ethan was upset that Skyler could go on more rides than he could particularly a motor bike ride. My brother Stephen came along, and was great, he and Jordan went on the rollercoaster, but besides taht just helped out with the 2 kids which was really nice.

Skyler has this new thing when he is really excited, it is totally goofy, and funny. He gives 2 really excited thumbs up, and a goofy grin - it kind of reminds me of President Carter.Side Rant: Kids are horrible at waiting in a line and not pushing through. Not that my own kids are without fault, but when I see them being rude, or pushing through a line I say something to them. I want them to grow up being respectful, courteous, and being able to really enjoy things like Calaway Park, and not just hating the lines. There was a little train ride that Ethan could go on by himself, and he really wanted to go, but wanted the front car. He waited in line, didn't get the front car, and was upset, so he waited in line again - actually he was the only one in line (and I was standing with him) and a little girl, with her mom came and pushed herself in front of him, and declared that she wanted the front car. I said that was fine, but that is also the car the Ethan wants, and he is first in line. The gate was opened, and she pushed again, and climbed in the front car leaving Ethan devastated. He cried for probably 10 minutes going "my choo choo, my choo choo" It was heartbraking, and I was really bothered by the fact that he waited twice, and the other childs mom did not do or say anything to help the situation,a nd I left with a crying child who did not get to ride the ride once, but waited for it twice.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Lee and I went to the stampede last night and we also hadn't been for many years. It was SO dissappointing, I really wanted to go on a few rides and they don't have unlimited passes on weekends which I didn't realize and it seriously would cost about 10 dollars for one ride for Lee and I, absolutely insane.

Carla McDaniel said...

well Melanie, it looks like the boys had a blast. we've been here 3 years now, and haven't been. i say we should go every year, but then it just doesn't work out. maybe next year :)

Ashley Dawn said...

What a rude mom. I can't believe someone would let their kid do that. Anyway, glad that you had fun at Calaway. This made me feel better about not making it out to the Stampede. Thanks!

Debbi said...

Ug. I want to punch that mom. Grrrr.

Marie said...

I love Calaway. It is so great.

Ya, the stampede is rediculously priced. You totally made the right call.